Alnwick Castle is a large visitor attraction, comprising a range of historical buildings and sweeping grounds, including an Inner and Outer Bailey and ‘Capability’ Brown landscapes. Unfortunately, due to the historic nature of the castle and its grounds, disabled access is limited in some areas.
The grounds of the castle include a variety of surfaces, including cobblestones, flagstones, grass, gravel and wood. These can be uneven and steep in places, with a number of steps on the Gun Terrace.
- There is partial access for wheelchairs, pushchairs, sight and hearing dogs.
- Motorised scooters are not permitted on the steps leading to the Gun Terrace.
Free wheelchair and electric scooter hire is available but, due to the limited number available, we advise that these be reserved in advance. Please call 01665 511 172 to book a wheelchair.
- There are 6 designated disabled parking spaces at the entrance to the castle on Castle Square in Alnwick (Satnav code NE66 1NG).
- Additional disabled parking is available in the main car park on Denwick Lane at The Alnwick Garden
- There is an accessible toilet in the courtyard by the Courtyard Café
- Additional accessible toilets are located in the Pavilion at The Alnwick Garden
For disabled visitors who require the assistance of a carer, the accompanying carer can enter the castle and its grounds free of charge.
Please contact us prior to visiting if you require additional information regarding access and facilities
- The State Rooms have stepped access (13 steps in total, with no handrail) to the Lower Guard Chamber and from there to an access lift (four steps with a handrail).
- The lift does not accommodate a wheelchair, however there is a seat for your comfort if required.
- The one-person lift gives access to the Upper Guard Chamber and the rest of the State Rooms and exhibitions.
- Visitors who are less able or who use a wheelchair can exit the State Rooms by the Lower Guard Chamber.
- We unfortunately do not have any ramps for access for motorised scooters or wheelchairs.
- The courtyard which contains the Castle Shop and Courtyard Café is cobbled.
- The Castle Shop and Courtyard Café are accessible for wheelchairs and this area also has a dedicated disabled toilet.
- We regret that The Lost Cellars have no disabled access.
About our staff
Staff can assist visitors to our one-person lift if required. Staff also have the freedom to alter the routes of guided tours to accommodate visitors with scooters and wheelchairs.
Visitors with visual impairments are permitted to touch items such as furniture, wall hangings and architecture in the State Rooms, supervised by staff.
All of our supervisors and many of our staff are first aid trained. Should you require assistance please ask any member of staff; there is always a trained supervisor on duty in each department.
There are first aid stations in the Castle Shop, the Courtyard Café, Admissions, Knight’s Quest and the State Rooms.
All of our staff have radios and in an emergency please contact a member of staff.
We have a no smoking policy in all of our buildings, including e-cigarettes. There is a designated smoking area in the main Castle courtyard, situated near the Coach House.
Bag searching policy
You are welcome to bring bags to Alnwick Castle. Visitors are respectfully informed that enhanced security measures are in place and you are requested to bring the minimum of bags during your visit. A baggage deposit zone is located on site. Please note that random bag searches may take place. Your kind cooperation with these procedures, which have been implemented for the benefit and security of visitors and staff alike, is much appreciated.